Friday, August 22, 2008

Segmentillia Horribilous

What manner of strangeness is this then? At a local park last night I witnessed a swarm of gigantic midges, swarming and buzzing, terrorizing visitors to the park. I tried to get a photo of them, but they were moving too quickly. I was able to get a shot of their shadows as a small gang of them paused for a moment.

Attracted to Light
The Light Draws Them

Frustrated by my inability to get close to them, and wanting photographic evidence, I decided to rig a trap of sorts. I put up a light source, and then added a mirror in hopes that I could at least get a shot of one attracted by the light. Much to my surprise, one of the midges seemed particularly vain. When it (he?) discovered the mirror, it paused to admire itself and even spent a moment grooming. It had something in one set of its hands and I wondered if it was taking a photo of itself. Haha! Of course not. I mean, why would a bug take a photo of itself? Regardless of the intent, here is the best shot that I was able to get before I startled it.

Natabug
Vanity, vanity, all is vanity!

I intend to return to Orton Park tonight in hopes of getting another look at this insectoid phenomenon. What other sorts of creatures does it consort with? At dusk, all will be revealed!


Join eyeDance! Click HERE to be notified of new posts.

1 comment:

  1. My father often said: "...such price vanity..."
    Nice legs on that there bug!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.