Friday, August 15, 2008

Fog Hollow

Riding in to work yesterday was interesting. When I left my house on the motorcycle it was a bit hazy, the remnants of a morning fog that had not yet burned off entirely. My commute takes me out of Madison to the next city, Sun Prairie, separated by about 2 miles of marginally undeveloped - yet - land. I would love to call it green space, but these two cities are too dumb to preserve such space. ANYway, as the highway leaves Madison it dips down to a low spot, once a lush wetland, but rampant stupidity has instead converted it to farm fields and developed land with one dredged pond. (Can you say 'flood plane' boys and girls? Sure, I thought you could.) ANYway, said low spot holds fog like you wouldn't believe. The light haze turned into a dense fog; a wet misty cloud limiting visibility to no more that 1/10 of a mile.

Socked In
Socked In

Madison car drivers are all waaaay above average, and seldom let anything so trivial as reality intrude on their God-given right to go 75 miles an hour (in a 65 zone) while talking on their cell phone. They are such superior drivers that many felt they didn't even need headlights. The rationale goes something like this: I can see fine. Okaaay. The fact that others possibly cannot see them is not a factor. Theirs is the superior skill.

Being only an average driver I decided that it was prudent to let them have that bit of road, so I took the first available exit. I paused to take the above photo (I actually had to do some editing of it because the fog was so misty that I had droplets on my lens), and while stopped took a look around me. I noticed this tree mostly because the light was rapidly changing, getting brighter. This shot was taken facing almost due east into the rising sun.

Misty Tree
Misty Tree

It was apparent that the sun was getting a grip on the fog and would burn through it in short order. As I clambered back up out of the rain ditch to the road where my bike was, I paused to grab one more shot. Taken only a few seconds after the tree shot, already the light was brighter. The dewey thistle looked really pretty, and the ant on the center top leaf adds a dash of spice.

Dewey Thistle
Dewey Thistle

With the fog lifting and visibility significantly improved, I opted to simply return to the highway and continue my ride. Not more than a mile later the highway climbs a few dozen feet, and at the top of that rise the sun blazed through. In another minute I was under mostly clear blue skies. I would guess that the low spot still had the last holdout of fog, but even that would soon be just a memory.


Join eyeDance! Click HERE to be notified of new posts.

1 comment:

  1. I love your dripping (with foggy dew) sarcasm regarding WI driving styles....the same applies to VA Peninsula drivers too! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.