Monday, November 3, 2008

New Lens, Baby

UPDATE: In June of 2010 this lens failed. It refused to correctly set an aperture (remained at f/0.0) and would no longer auto-focus. Repairs from Sigma will take three weeks and upwards of $150. So it lasted 18 months before it died. Buyer beware.

-----

After months of lusting after this lens, and watching the price on Amazon slowly creep down, I finally took the plunge and bought it. It's another Sigma lens, to match my 30mm prime. While not anywhere near as fast as the f/1.4 30mm, this 18-200mm zoom has optical stabilization which testing reveals is worth three, or even four stops. It autofocuses with the D40.

Sigma 18-200 HSM OS
Black Beauty

I've used it just a couple of times so far, and am really getting familiar with it. The OS is a nice feature. I pride myself on having a steady hand, but this makes the moment of capture easier, no doubt about it. Here's one recent shot with it:

Shannon - close
Shannon

This one was with my Nikon D40 at around 80mm, ISO 400, f/5.0, with a flash and red-eye reduction. I expect these two Sigma lenses makes just about a perfect set, replacing my kit lens (18-55mm) and the tele (55-200mm), as well as the 50mm prime that doesn't autofocus with the D40.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.