Friday, January 30, 2009

"...causing change to conform to one's will"

Winter Sunset
Sunset

I was thrilled to get this winter sunset picture. First of all it meant that I was out of work in time to see the sunset. Secondly in indicated that, 6 weeks after the Winter Solstice, the days are noticably longer. Both of those are comfortable reasons. From a metaphorical perspective, it also notes the sunset of my career with Famous Footwear.

Aleister Crowley defined magick as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will." Lots of NeoPagans believe in magic, or magick, in various guises. It seems to me that too many of them make it something esoteric and arcane. Fuggedaboutit. We are talking about spiritual practices that came from the heathens - the folk - not highly trained practitioners. Accept Crowley's definition at face value, and it speaks to the commoner, the every day decision maker. To whit: I wanted change in my career, and have for 5 years or so, yet I still mostly liked my employer. Over those 5 years I made changes within the corporation to improve my lot and introduce new challenges. Most were successful, though the most recent (a bid for a manager slot) was not. My options here (with this company in this location) are pretty much all closed. I cannot get promoted or change roles without relocating to St. Louis, MO; a move I do not want to make. So, by taking this voluntary separation, I cause change to conform to my will. I get to move on, and I get the paid luxury of having quite a bit of time to decide what I want to do next. I often say I lead a charmed life. I think it is because, like Crowley, I see that I can choose (my will) wisely among options over time to create change that is positive for me. My fear about remaining with my current employer is that in a year or so my job would have been relocated to St. Louis anyway and I would not have received so generous a severance package. This change was coming no matter what I did, so I chose the option that seemed to provide the most: a sabatical, a safety net, and departure on good terms. Magick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.