Thursday, November 8, 2007

What makes a photo popular?


DSC_0098.JPG, originally uploaded by nataraj_hauser.

Some of Foxy Veronica's Peach Pie burlesque.

What makes a photograph popular? I have taken some pretty good photos of some pretty interesting things or people. They get posted to my Flickr site, and most generate a small number of views. A few get viewed 50 or 75 times, and one or two select pictures get viewed 100 or more times. In two weeks, this photo has been viewed more than 200 times. That poses a number of questions for me, and I'm curious to learn your thoughts.

Why this photo? What makes this special? Does this image make you want to look closer? It's a halloween picture amongst other similar pictures, some of which are racier or more interesting to my eye. It's essentially a "snapshot", in the pejorative sense of the word, and the flash effects are a bit harsh, especially on Foxy V (on the left).

I used a handheld 1-second exposure with a rear curtain flash setting (meaning the flash fires twice, when the shutter opens and again just before it closes) to give it a bit of an otherworldly sense just because it was Halloween. ISO was 800, and I suspect that I'd have gotten a bit richer results shooting at 400.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.