Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Mysteriousness of My Back Yard

I have been playing around a lot recently with longer shutter speeds. Tonight I found myself arriving home at twilight, and the cat *really* wanted to go outside for a while (she does not get to prowl unsupervised). So it was a win-win for us both. She got go out and hang around with me, and I got to try some low, low light shots with loooong shutters. I only took four or five shots, and the results were not great, but I admit to being inspired to try some more another time.

The Mysteriousness of My Back Yard (DS3_9648)
View it LARGE

The details are as follows:
- It was too dark to auto-focus, so I guestimated the distance
- ISO 640. I was hoping for 100, but could not make it work without going to 'bulb' with the shutter.
- Shutter was 30 seconds. To use 'bulb' I need to use the remote trigger (which is at the studio). I expect that will happen soon!
- Aperture was f/4.
- I wanted the waterfall to really pop, so I hit it with an LED flashlight for approximately 4 seconds. It made things pretty blue, so I adjusted the tone just a bit. Some blue was what I wanted. It also had a wider field than I wanted, but it was what I had on hand. A paper towel roll will make an effective snoot for it.

I am thinking that I would like to try this same shot with a single small candle tucked behind the waterfall. Perhaps I would also 'paint' the surrounding foliage with light for 2-3 seconds to bring them out a bit.

Tonight was fun!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Are you downstream from the Springfield Nuclear Plant?
    -Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nataraj! That's STUNNING!!! I want it for my wall!!!!

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's being great fun being able to watch your development, both in skill and eye, as a photographer :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.