Sunday, October 25, 2009

Out On Highway Sixty-One

A pair of friends got married yesterday up in Hastings, MN. It is a 4.5 hour drive if one simply blasts up the Interstate, which I did on the way up there. The wedding was short and sweet (good thing as it was outdoors with temps around 48 (F) and the bridesmaids were wearing backless lightweight gowns. They breed 'em tough in Minnesota!) and I got to hang out with a bunch of friends, and make some new friends. The reception ran late so I was glad to be in a hotel for the night.

As I left town this morning I spent a few minutes to get a shot of the 30' waterfall that was about a block from my hotel. You can't see it in the photo, but it is apparent that there had been a water wheel there to provide power for the factory built on the banks of the Vermillion River. I chose to drive down MN Hwy 61 through Red Wing, Lake City, Waubesha, and Winona, crossing back into Wisconsin at LaCrosse and blasting the rest of the (boring) way home on the Interstate. South of Lake City, at the southern edge of Lake Pepin, I stopped for another few shots of the boggy area near the road. It really caught my eye.

Here are the best of the bunch.

Hwy 61 Backwater 1
Hwy 61 Backwater View LARGE

Vermillion Falls 1
Vermillion FallsView LARGE

Oh, and congratulations to Dawn and Jake!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.