Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nature is not always pretty.

I spotted a neighborhood cat next to my house this morning with a bird in his mouth. I assumed it was dead, but he dropped it to meow hello to me, then batted at it as it fluttered. I distracted him (he is a complete attention slut) and scooped up the bird to put it into a nearby tree.

DS3_7049

I suspected it was a goner, but figured I'd help it out a bit. I love their song!

The cat was not terribly upset by the loss of his prey, and he certainly appeared smug about his fearsome hunting skills.

DS3_7048

He hung around long enough to be something of a pest, and Nala (our cat) had come to the door to see where I was and saw this little tramp rubbing me up (OK, I am a bit of a kitty slut too), and a bit of through-the-door hissing ensued. Nala gave up the fight pretty quickly, and I eventually grew tired of the temptations of my suitor.

DS3_7045

I checked on the bird an hour or so later and it was on the ground. It's attempt to fly away from me was pretty sad, so I assume it had a messed up wing. I suspect it will not last the day, but I could be wrong. And, as Josey Wales would say, "buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Nature is not always pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.