Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sledding

Finally the extremely cold weather we have been having (daytime highs of -4 F) has passed and today is a balmy 24 degrees F. As I was returning home from a few errands I spotted a para-skier on Lake Monona. I took a few pics, but he was moving away from me so I did not get any great shots. I noted that I was just a short distance from the Olbrich sledding hill, so I headed over that-a-way. To my delight there were people out sledding.

DSC_0018
Mom Looks On

In this sequence, the mom looks on while dad and child prepare for the first run of the day on an inner-tube-like sled. It is all great fun until about halfway down the hill.

White Out!
White Out!

Dad's big ol' sneaker dug into the hill sending a shower of snow up over both of them.

DSC_0024
The Fun Is Over

At first I did not understand why the little guy was sobbing at the end of the run. After all, it was just a little snow. However, take a look at that last picture, enlarged: View On Black OK, that is a fair amount of snow plastered into the little guy's eye! I agree that might hurt a little, and be more than a little surprising. I wonder if he got over it, or if he had enough sledding for this year? I gave dad my card, so maybe I will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.