Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Almost Halfway

It's almost Samhain:
I had to scrape my windshield
before I left home.

Frosty Windshield
Frosty Windshield

All those colorful leaves I saw over the weekend were definitely a sign of things to come. This morning the temperature dipped to 30 degrees (F) at the very end of night as dawn was breaking. As I left for work I jumped into the car and started it up before really noticing my frosted windshield. My heart sank a little, and I turned on the wipers in the vain hope that the frost was really light and would brush right off. Of course it did not. I slid back out to scrape it before realizing that my real winter scrapers were in the garage. I made do with a lightweight, free promotional scraper that lives in the map pocket of the door. A few scrapes was all I gave it, counting on the defroster and a little time to take care of it. Two blocks later my windshield was mostly clear and I did not feel guilty about having a partially obstructed view.

Samhain, Hallowe'en to non-Pagans, marks the halfway point between the autumnal equinox and Yule, the winter solstice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.