Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Friend is Sick

A Friend is in the Hospital
Der Junge ist Krank

I have a friend in the hospital. No accident, he is just very sick. I struggle with the feeling of powerlessness when faced with a situation that you just cannot fix. There is nothing I can do now except visit him and let him know I - and the rest of his friends - care about him and want him to get better. What makes it so hard is the knowledge that once they get him back on his feet, there is no guarantee that his condition will not return and put him back there again, or worse.

For myself, I have to turn to the wisdom of Mother Goose:

For every ailment under the sun
There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it;
If there be none, never mind it.


That seems like a much earlier, secular version of the Serenity Prayer, which would be an obvious choice of words in this circumstance, but less suitable as neither of us is particularly religious.

I will do what I can do (offer support), and not fret about what I cannot do (heal him).


UPDATE: I just learned that his condition has worsened, and they moved him back to the ICU. Rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.