Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Order Of Magnitude Badder Than The Beast

DS3_6264

This bike is an order of magnitude badder than The Beast. At least my odometer rolling to 6666 thinks that is the case.

Some years ago I had a hankering for a particular sort of motorcycle. I was enamored of the cafe bike style but did not want an antique. I loved Honda's GB500 but hated the price. I mentioned it to Bill W. at Motorcycle Performance and he suggested I peek at their 500 cc single-cylinder road racer. I did, and was smitten. He suggested that I could have a similar bike built for the paltry sum of $5k. I hemmed and hawed and cleared it with Reena (mind you, I was not getting rid of any bikes, just adding another) then gave him the go ahead to start. Build time was about 5 months. It is badged as a "Rogue".

DS3_6265
Pocket Rocket

What I ended up with was a really good back road scratcher with a very unique style. The chassis is (mostly) a 1990 Suzuki GS500. The engine is a worked 1979 Yamaha SR500 (making 52 42 RWHP versus a stock motor's 29), which also means it is kick-start only. These days that is probably the best anti-theft device around!

The bike has had its problems - mostly due to vibration from a solid-mounted big single - but it seems to be mostly sorted out this year and has been pretty reliable as a toy. It needs a new weld on the exhaust bracket (safety wire is doing the job now) and a new rear tire come spring.

DS3_6266

What a beauty, eh? This is my idea of what a cafe racer would look like if people were not still focused on old school examples. Well, at this point I have to say it is my vision of what a mid-90's cafe racer would look like.

A few other details:
- tail section is from Airtech
- fairing is from a Yamaha YSR50 and highly modified
- forks and inner workings came from some GSX-R model and was in fact the original front end from the very road racer I looked at as an example.
- custom exhaust pipe with Jet Hot coating
- Vance and Hines SS2R muffler
- House of Kolor "Sherwood Forest Green" paint.

UPDATE
I made this faux advertisement out of the above road shot. What do you think?

Rogue Faux Ad
Faux Rogue Ad
Better if Viewed LARGE On Black

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.