Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hoar-ific Day!

It is difficult to top that last post, so I will not try to compete directly. Today I woke up to find a lovely hoar covering all the trees and plants in the area. Reena was heading off for a day of errands, so I had her drop me off at Tenney Park. I worked my way the length of the Yahara River between Lakes Mendota and Menona, snapping away.

DS3_3735

There was much at which to look. The coating of frost was pure eye-candy. It was tough to know whether to look macro or tele! I decided to limit myself to my 50 mm Nikon f/1.8 lens. It's a good lens and forced me to move around to get what I wanted.

DS3_3777

I also was forced to do a lot with the camera. In order to shoot some images at very wide apertures (down to f/1.8) as well as very small (down to f/22) I was all overthe board with shutter speeds and ISO. Mostly I left ISO at 100 (or the L.03 equivilant) and maneuvered with the other settings. I got most of what I wanted. I did miss a pair of tundra swans that flew past, no more than thirty feet from me. Drat! Ah well, there were plenty of other things to draw my eye.

DS3_3848

There are more images, best viewed in this larger format SLIDE SHOW. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am sorry I missed seeing this today! By the time I went outside all the hoarfrost had fallen to the ground. It looked like pointy snowflakes.

    Very beautiful work, Nataraj!

    - M.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.