Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 62 ... We're Still Here

It's Day 62 of protesting in Madison. It is abundantly clear our work is not finished yet. Every day brings revelation of further evildoing in the GOP that threatens to roll WI (and other states) back to the bad ol' days of the 1920's where corporations were free to, and did, exploit their workers and there were no social safety nets. If you do not earn more than $1,000,000 per year, you should be nervous.

DS3_8048

As much as it is easy to ridicule Fox "News" with their fallacious reporting, it hurts terribly to catch your own hometown media doing the same sort of thing. Today while I was at the Capitol I split my time between the ongoing anti-Walker rally and the Tea Party rally. It was instantly apparent that Things Were Different on the T.P. side. There was orange plastic snow fence up to keep people away from the stage area, and my valid press pass would not get me past the State Police (acting today as political goons under the direction of their top boss, the father of the GOP boys who are heads of the WI House and Senate). There were dozens of State Patrol officers in evidence on the T.P. side. Yet my local "news" Channel 3 had this to report:

"In contrast to the protests that surrounded the Capitol for much of February, there was no fencing and less security on hand on Saturday in contrast to the kind that had been accompanying other demonstrations in recent weeks."

On the State Street, anti-Walker side of the Capitol, I had no problem working backstage (as I have done on numerous occasions over the past weeks) with easy access to speakers. I did note that in an update of this article this blatant lie was removed. I wonder how many people other than me called the station?

With the goings on in Michigan yesterday, I feel quite justified in continuing an active fight with the current government. I will NOT allow basic democracy to be stripped away.

In the wake of a bill that was signed into law with high objection from the people, as it was a bill that threatened local communities, schools, townships, and municipalities, the first order has been officially issued in Benton Harbor. Joseph L. Harris has used his emergency manager powers to “exercise any power or authority of any office, employee, department, board, commission, or similar entity of the City, whether elected or appointed.” In addition, the Emergency Manager has the power to supersede any officer or entity and the power to act on behalf of the city.

There is growing evidence that our Governor is attempting to implement something similar. When I see concrete evidence, I'll post it.

There are more photos from today in a SLIDE SHOW going back to Feb 15th. The most recent photos are up front.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.