Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Heckuva Storm Today

We are having a hellacious wind storm today (though it sounds like it is diminishing as I type now that the sun has set). Gusts up to 60 MPH, or roughly equal to a tropical storm - quite unusual around here.

DS3_8249

I ran some errands, with my camera in tow of course, and as I was passing Lake Mendota Monona at Olbrich Park I had to stop and try to capture the pounding.

DS3_8237

The storm surge was coming ashore and could not drain back into the lake. Even though the temperatures were in the mid-50's (F) I was quickly chilled. The waves were splashing over my head, so call it seven feet above the shore, or 8+ feet over lake level. The water in Starkweather Creek was unusually high as the storm surge pushed up it. Apparently there are many trees down, power outages, and damaged/missing roofs though I saw very little damage in my outing.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome photographs Nataraj. It has been a fierce wind down here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing photos... I can practically feel the wind and the rain as I look at the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blooger or "open" ID, you are free to use "Anonymous" for your posts, and leave your name if you are willing.